Monday, June 15, 2009

The Band That Broke Punk's Heart

Little introduction: It's taking a lot of strength not to put the Jets To Brazil cd up for a second time; seriously, if you don't already have it, it's so worth it to get it now. I've been listening to it nonstop since I put it up last week.

Anyways!

So, I saw this band a few months ago with fellow Hallelujah-blogger, Brooks, and his younger brother, Andy. Andy was also at the Ted Leo show that I wrote about last week and he asked me to upload this album. I don't normally do requests, but this one was submitted in person, so I'll make an exception... Also, I had already uploaded it because I knew I was gonna put it up.



Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster... (2008)

Los Campesinos are an eight piece indie-pop/punk band; their name is Spanish for The Peasants or The Famers; however, they are from Wales and do not have any songs in Spanish... Instead, their music is a sort of indie-pop that kind zig-zags between the borders of punk and total insanity. Every song sounds like it might fall apart and descend into total madness at any given point, but at the same time, each song also sounds like it could be played on some shitty top 100 radio station if the ridiculously distorted guitars, glockenspiels, or manic speed were removed. Basically, they're a punk band whose songs are so unfairly catchy and enjoyable to listen to, that you can't help but enjoy it.

The band released two FULL cds in 2008; "Hold On" being my favorite, "We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed" is also pretty good, but this one is my favorite. The guitar lines are intricately woven between violins, glockenspiels, synthesizers, gang vocals, and, of course, the hilariously off-kilter lyrics sung through Gareth's registerless voice. His excited shouts are pulled back by Aleksandra's quiet, tuneful backing vocals. The song titles are so funny, and the lyrics match perfectly; they're just great songwriters and the songs are always perfectly put together.

Altogether, this album is easily one of the best from 2008 and is so much fun to listen to. If you ever get a chance to see them live, I recommend checking them out. They're a great time and I love this album so much. Check out the recommended tracks to get an idea of what the song-titles are like. Just great.

Recommended Tracks: Death To Los Campesinos!, Don't Tell Me To Do The Math(s), This Is How You Spell "Hahaha, We Destroyed The Hopes And Dreams Of A Generation Of Faux-Romantics," You! Me! Dancing!
Genres: Indie-Pop, Punk, Rock, Experimental
Link: http://www.mediafire.com(SLASH)?zloeeugczdz

No comments:

Post a Comment