Friday, June 5, 2009

Final Thursday EPs (For Now)

Okay, I don't have nearly enough good EPs to keep this up, so they'll just be sprinkled intermittently whenever I can't think of what to put up. Awesome! Let's finish off that Mountain Goats kick and I'll round it out with ex-folk-punk band Rosa! Acoustic EP Day!! Woo!

The Mountain Goats and John Vanderslice - Moon Colony Bloodbath (2009)

The humorous title of this most recent Mountain Goats release hints at murder and space travel, but hardly delivers on either. Instead, you get a story that builds over the course of the album. John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats and Vanderslice trade vocal duties and create a very cohesive, warm, yet dark album. The music is almost entirely just acoustic guitars and voices, with each frontman performing a half of the album. The final song, when the bloodbath on the moon happens is the absolutely fantastic. The build up to it is stunning. Definitely a must-hear for anyone interested in either band.

Genres: Folk, Indie
Link: http://www.mediafire.com(SLASH)?m1jy2zidqmz


Rosa - I Mississippi You (2005)

This one isn't an EP, but it's only about 26 MB, despite having 12 songs, so it's tiny, but it's so very, very good. Not very many people have heard of Rosa, and the ones that have either listen to them all the time or are searching for them on the internet to this day. They sound like four kids who are just writing songs about whatever they care about. Passionate, playful, and rocking, these lo-fi, acoustic songs sound like they were recorded in a garage that, while being planted down in Tennessee, it dreams about houses in California. Listening to Rosa makes me feel like running away from home, hopping on a train to anywhere, and never looking back. The music sounds like if a couple punks decided they wanted to play folk-country, and that is so awesome with me.

Genres: Folk, Punk, Country
Link: http://www.mediafire.com(SLASH)?dkmzyzicnkz

3 comments:

  1. Hey, if you are going to use images that are hosted on other sites then please also plug that site with a link. It's only polite. :-)

    Thanks,
    Steve @ Bombed Out Records

    PS. I hope Chris at PIX Records is cool with you linking to free copies of his releases. If people like the download I hope they'll buy a copy - DIY punk rock labels need all the help they can get these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Steve!

    I'm sorry for hotlinking; I often forget my etiquette when a post is a click away. I hope Chris is cool with it, as well... I generally buy my music, but I also feel like if people were more aware of what's going on underneath the radio, they'll be more likely to buy in the future, as well, which is partially what this site is all about!

    Anyways, all apologies and I plan on taking your suggestions to heart,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, as you were then. :-)

    The Rosa record is pretty good!

    Cheers,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete