Monday, May 11, 2009

All The Donuts Have Names That Sound Like Prostitutes


Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (1985)


There are only a few albums I've heard that I would consider life changing. The first time I heard Rain Dogs, I stopped it after track 4, completely unable to listen to another word from the growling Waits, unable to stand one more squawk from the jarring rhythms, completely immobilized by the fact that this man was spinning madness, playing keyless ditties with cryptic, almost nonsense lyrics. And it was so GOOD. I started the cd over again.

Listening to it still gives me shivers sometimes. Tom Waits, for the uninitiated, is a singer/songwriter who smoked a few too many cigarettes. His voice transformed from Bob Dylan to Louis Armstrong. His songs range from very accessible, beautiful pieces, to xylophone songs that sound like a room full of men beating on percussion while he wails in the background. This cd is the perfect mixture of the two. It's one of the absolute greatest cds ever written, and the fact that it came out in 1985, before sounds like this had been thought of, proves both Tom Waits genius and his immense capacity to cherish each individual noise that goes on his records.

Oh, also, the very last track on the cd, Anywhere I Lay My Head, is the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard. Bar none. Tom Waits is my only hero, and this is an amazing album.


Genres: Rock, Experimental, Blues
Recommended Tracks: Tango Till They're Sore, Rain Dogs, Downtown Train, Anywhere I Lay My Head
Link: http://www.mediafire.com(SLASH)?nmgcmam2j2x

2 comments:

  1. this is rum drinking music. just saying.

    ps, LOL @ rod stewart cover of "downtown train"

    ReplyDelete
  2. best album uploaded so far, as instructed by your poll

    ReplyDelete