Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Guest Post: Grant Green & Bobby Hutcherson - Idle Moments

Grant Green & Bobby Hutcherson - Idle Moments (1963)

This review is courtesy of Jamie, a man who I honestly believe is a musical genius; a rap, funk, and jazz connoisseur. This cd is easily one of my favorites, and when Jamie asked me if he could review it, I was ecstatic. Grant Green is my absolute favorite jazz guitarist, so I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to hear one of the best. Here's the review:

Featuring-
Grant Green-Guitar
Joe Henderson-Tenor Saxophone
Bobby Hutcherson-Vibes
Duke Pearson-Piano
Bob Cranshaw-Bass
Al Harewood-Drums

Grant Green's "Idle Moments" is, in my humble opinion, is one of the greatest jazz albums to come out of The Cool era. The album manages to cover the entire emotional spectrum, from the discontented stillness of "Idle Moments" to the upbeat nature of "Nomad". Contained in each of the four tracks is some of the most original and amazing writing that I have ever heard and, while the musicians have chops to spare, they do not feel the incessant urge to show off and pound the listener with flurries of notes. This is not your can of bebop, so beware ye Charlie Parker fans: you will be in store for something completely different. "Idle Moments" is both incredibly simple while at the same time equally as complex. It is elegant and sophisticated and one of the coolest albums to ever be released.


Thanks, Jamie! Oh, and to anyone who downloaded the first link of this before I posted it (there were three downloads, you cheating hackz0rz), this version has the missing track.

Recommended Tracks: There are only four, so I would say all of them, but the title track, Idle Moments, is probably my favorite.
Genres: Jazz
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nmzxmcdmgyt

No comments:

Post a Comment