Saturday, May 23, 2009

But I Can't Remember The Sound That You Found From Me


The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour (2007)


The Weakerthans are my all time favorite band. Their music has so much energy to it, John K. Samson's voice so much sincerity, and his lyrics so thoughtful. They are what I want music to always be; tender and warm while still being fun and enjoyable to listen to.

This cd, Reunion Tour, is their latest. It came out in 2007, and it was this cd that got me into them. I had listened to Left And Leaving once, but it didn't strike me. However, the opening chords on Civil Twilight had me hooked. Each song is a kind of mixture between punk and indie that literally sounds like they use their warm music to combat the icy winters of Winnipeg, where they live.

Every time I listen to this cd, something hits me so hard that I have to rewind it and hear it again. Today, it was a point in Relative Surplus Value, when Samson describes a pause while facing his boss as being as long as "an extra year of high school." Seriously, this is the sort of music that I can always listen to. And I could not recommend it any higher. If you don't have this cd, pick it up and be joyous because it's honestly the best release of 2007 (except for maybe Okkervil River's The Stage Names, you guys).

Let me restate that: THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BAND AND THEIR NEWEST CD. That felt good.


Genres: Indie, Punk, Rock, Folk
Recommended Tracks: Civil Twilight, Relative Surplus Value, Sun In An Empty Room, Virtute The Cat Explains Her Departure, um every other song on it? I mean, seriously
Link: http://www.mediafire.com(SLASH)?0h3jzuzmdy1

1 comment:

  1. "It's honestly the best release of 2007" - no love for Sink or Swim? - Andy Phelps

    ReplyDelete