Friday, May 1, 2009

Oh, like you weren't expecting something different



Watain - Sworn To The Dark (2003)

Okay, yeah, I listen to black metal sometimes. This stuff is so great; Watain is a black metal group from Sweden. I wouldn't say their music is overly inaccessable, though. Growling vocals, pounding drums, sludgy guitars... The usual from the dark, wintry depths of Scandinavia. Sworn To The Dark is kind of like if black metal were so serious that it became kind of a joke, but it's so charming that you can't help but unironically like it. Their music is pretty intense, but it has an almost-rock feel to it that makes it feel not nearly as heavy as it should. This means that it isn't bad, unlike almost all other black metal.

So yeah, if you want to listen to something heavy, but aren't in the mood for something that'll give you a serious headache, this is where to go. Of all the black metal I have, this is the only cd I can really listen to without going crazy. It's great stuff, really. Plus, there's a song called Satan's Hunger. Fuck yeah, right?

Genres: Rock, black metal
Link: http://www.mediafire.com(SLASH)?1zqv3d1gfmm

1 comment:

  1. Yo mike.

    If you like less harsh black metal, I would check out Dismsmber. They definetly have the black metal overarching sound, but with a sprinkle of melodic metal in there that balances it out. Add that to the drummer's kind of off beat funky type drumming and the music isn't THAT hard to listen to.

    I'd check out Dismember, God that Never Was. It's the album I listen to the most, and I it's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete